Can my false advertising or data breach claims be resolved through a letter to the business?

Video Description

My name is Ben Heikali, and I'm an attorney at Faruqi & Faruqi.


Oftentimes, the first step before filing a complaint in court is sending a letter to the company, which outlines the consumer's claims against the company and demanding that the company fix the issue within a certain amount of time. In California, this letter is sent under the Consumer Legal Remedies Act, also known as the CLRA. After receipt of the CLRA letter, the company has 30 days to remedy the issues brought up. Sometimes, in response to the letter, and in order to avoid litigation, the parties will decide to settle their claims outside of court. However, these settlements are almost always confidential and will not affect the rights of any other consumer who may have the same complaint against the company.


Ben Heikali
Partner at Faruqi & Faruqi, LLP

California office
Tel: (424) 256-2884
Fax: (424) 256-2885

Finding us

Our Offices

Our offices are nationwide. If you have any questions about a case or our firm, please contact us.

New York

685 Third Avenue 26th Floor
New York, New York 10017
(212) 983-9330
(877) 247-4292
(212) 983-9331


10866 Wilshire Boulevard Suite 1470
Los Angeles, California 90024
(424) 256-2884
(424) 256-2885


3975 Roswell Rd Suite A
Atlanta, Georgia 30342
(404) 847-0617
(404) 506-9534


1617 JFK Boulevard, Suite 1550
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19103
(215) 277-5770
(215) 277-5771

Faruqi & Faruqi office in New York, New York

Faruqi & Faruqi office in Los Angeles, California

Faruqi & Faruqi office in Atlanta, Georgia

Faruqi & Faruqi office in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania